Thursday, April 13, 2006

Judo Chop!

I've got two schools where I will be teaching this year. They're very close to one another, and that's about as far as their similarities go. I don't think I'll be getting home early from either one of them very often, even though I usually have nothing to do after 3:30.
Soooo... I've decided to study judo with some of the students after class. I'll only get home a half-hour later than I would anyway, and it gives me some exercise and prevents me from falling asleep on my face whilst doing nothing for hours on end.
I've already learned how to tumble (which I never thought I would do, ever (I'm not kidding; the thought of my posterior over my head gave me horrible images of a "The Ring"-like broken neck)), and a couple of throws (they get hard really fast, though). Judo in Japan is the high school equivalent of wrestling; there is no punching or kicking, which makes that line in "Austin Powers" all the more amusing.
I leave work every day in a full sweat now, which means I will need to arrange some kind of training clothing alongside my semi-formal work attire. A shower wouldn't hurt either.

1 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger DrastiContrast said...

Obrigado, ajthej! Good luck with your new blog!
Kayla, I think part of the reason is a lack of communication between my company and the schools who hire me; they seriously may not know that it's ok to let me leave early. Another equally plausible reason is that Japanese invented the phrase "by the book" (amazing, eh? They don't even speak English!). Everything gets done the way it's always been done, because that's the way it's always done. To suggest another way, even if it's more efficient, would get you a look not unlike a dog when it's bewildered (you know, that half-tilt they do with their head...). If my contract dictates that I'm to be available for work between the hours of 8:00 and 5:00, then I will probably be there from 8:00 to 5:00. This could be a whole post in and of itself! I will have to plan it very carefully, though; it could turn sour very quickly.
Oh, and ,yes, I'm looking forward to building some judo skills :)
God bless!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home