Saturday, February 18, 2006

Dead Air

This song came from a dark time in my life. It was winter of last year that I was going my own way; blaming God for separation that was entirely my fault. The lyrics originally accused Him of the theft (You stole my life...).
People have told me that they really like the music of this one, so I felt compelled to redeem it. Looking back on that time in my life, the re-written version much more clearly reflects my situation and what I needed to do to remedy it; namely, confess my sin and draw near to Him.

Dead Air

You're the One who heard every word I said
And I've checked the obituaries; You're not dead
So why haven't I heard from You in such a long while?
I've tried ringing You and singing to You, clinging to You;
It's all futile

Did I do something to make You go away?
Have the ties we're bound with all been severed
Since I turned to my own way?

CHORUS
I just can't believe my ears
There's nothing here
It's like I'm talking to the air again

he stole my life; he stole my joy right out from under
Yeah, he robbed me of my very soul; took it off like plunder

Was this his intention all along:
To bring me here, break me down, and string me along?

CHORUS

A final time; entreating to reply
Now that all the debts are confessed, I just wanna draw nigh

It's almost time for me to close this up
I'm hoping by this last ring's end You'll pick it up...

CHORUS

Restored my life, restored my joy, and awe, and wonder
Your rod and staff before my soul; comfort from the thunder

3 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I can't tell you this enough, but I love this song!!!

 
At 11:18 PM, Blogger DrastiContrast said...

Thanks bre. Hope I don't have to go through that again to make another song that's as good :)

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I totally agree with you on that one!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home