Saturday, January 14, 2006

Octavarium...live!

I saw Dream Theater live in concert tonight. Third row from the back, which is pretty darn far back. I bought binoculars specifically for the performance, though, and they were a lifesaver. DT played at the International Forum in Yurakucho; a much larger venue than I've seen them play in the States...and they were awesome!!!
The concert lasted 3&1/2 hours with a 15 minute intermission, and it was all them; no opening groups or anything. They began with the title track, Octavarium, followed by I can't remember what; there was so much music. At the beginning of the second half, they did about 6-7 Deep Purple covers, including "Highway Star" and "Smoke On The Water". They finished the concert with "Pull Me Under", their breakthrough Mtv release. After seeing John Petrucci play the guitar like it was some grotesque extension of his own body, I feel like burning all of my guitars so I don't get any more of my musical filth on them.
What was funny to me about the concert was that James LaBrie spoke to the crowd entirely in English; frequently asking them questions, and then looked disappointed at the lack of response...from a JAPANESE audience!
I wish my camera took good pictures in low light; I would have shown y'all the eclectic group of people that comprised this audience. Teenagers, college students, and...businessmen??? Yep, men in full business suits stood right in front of me head-banging to every tune; and I'm talkin' 45-55 year old men. You can drink at events like this too, so here are these drunk salarymen swaying like those plastic and rubber band toys that when you push the bottom in, they collapse, and shouting at the stage in Japanese. It was hilarious! If I hadn't brought those binoculars, I would have been staring at them the whole time.

1 Comments:

At 6:00 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dude, I bet that was an amazing concert! I'm trying to picture head-banging businessmen. That's hilarious!!! LOL

 

Post a Comment

<< Home