Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Nouveaux riche

I saw a humvee this evening on my way home. I was quite surprised; what's a gas-guzzling hunk of crap like that doing in this country? It must cost my annual salary just to keep that thing fueled! Then I saw it pull into a Gusto (Japanese equivalent of a Denny's (although Denny's is here too)). I was once again reminded that the west has passed on much more than it's economics and fashion.

All of those gauche aspects of western "civilization" are making their way over here too. Every teen-ager wants to look like an idiot because young westerners look like idiots. Kids over here, like pop stars, with no business handling the kind of cash they do, spend it on items of instant gratification with no regard for the future. That's why you see people like this with 80,000$ cars and 3.50$ taste.

I think I'll go get a hamburger...

3 Comments:

At 12:21 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

LOL That's funny!! Yeah, it is a shame that our some of our bad western ways have rubbed off on the people of Japan. I can see it now: Zaxby's in Tokyo. Kickin' Sashimi Sandwich. Yum!!

 
At 12:25 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah, it is a shame that some of our horrible western ways have crossed over into the Japanese culture.
I can see it now, Zaxby's in Tokyo. Kickin' Sashimi Sandwiches. Yum!!

 
At 4:13 PM, Blogger DrastiContrast said...

Ugh! How about a big plate of hot, steamin' natto enchiladas!
I've seen spaghetti with fish roe in it over here...where's the bathroom?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home