Thursday, July 06, 2006

The First of Many, Part II

I want so desperately for this music to come from the right spirit in many ways. First, I want the songs themselves to come from the Spirit as much as possible. Any time music or lyrics come faster than normal, I am now inclined to give credit to the Spirit of God for inspiration. As an example, the song that I'm recording now came in two days while I was fasting. I was not fasting to recieve a song, but God gave me a song just the same. The most recent composition contains lyrics that I am convinced were "put" in my head. I may find time to elaborate on this particular occurence in a future installment.

Secondly, I want these songs to reflect my life, or to at least be a prayer to live in the same way. My countenance becomes so dark so quickly, that there may be more occasions than not that I lack that desire, let alone the capability. Many times I just want to shout and throw something or destroy something; that is from the devil, and it is a place to which I have found a very short route. Often, I see myself in the mirror, and I understand why people do and want to turn away and immediately forget what they look like; who wants to see that filth! I am also finding shorter and shorter lengths of time to be the battle grounds, with more and more defense and preparation required to overcome them or pass through unscathed. Even a fantastic quiet time in one day cannot be the single climactic event for my spirit in order to be successful in battle for the 24 hours. The more I look, the more I see where satan is trying to attack, and it's, frankly, fearful and overwhelming.

This segues well into my third point; I want every aspect of the recording to be of the Spirit. I am not fully there yet, but I am coming to the conclusion that the spirit of a performance, not just the technical and tonal aspects of it, can be captured in a recording. To that end, I want to preface every recording session with time spent with God in His Word. Coming to the throne before coming to the studio promotes an awareness of the real purpose of the recording; to glorify God. I do think that God blesses a recording when it's done with the right attitude, but even more that the listener, perhaps unconsciously, is assisted to that sweet place of worship when every track, every "bit" is recorded in Spirit and truth. That means that if I've had a fight with my wife, then I need to get right with her before I start recording. If I've unconfessed sin, then that's going to hinder the music from reaching its apex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home